By Jacob Meyer, Communications Intern
The fourth annual Defence Media Awards dinner was held on Oct. 10 at the National Press Club in Washington D.C. The event brought together leading journalists and representatives from the defense industry to recognize journalistic achievement in 16 categories.
Elbit America is a sponsor of the event and was proud to present the Best Military Rotorcraft submission category. Elbit America’s Senior Vice President of Airborne Solutions, Sean Bond, presented the award. Elbit America Senior Director of U.S. Army Customer Relations Cris Boyd, Director of Business Development for Rotary Wing Jeff Hager, and Senior Director of Communications Greg Caires were also in attendance.
“We support this outstanding event because the defense media do an excellent job and play an important role in keeping the public informed about how the government invests in technology to protect and keep safe America’s Warfighters,” Caires said.
The Best Military Rotorcraft submission was awarded to Steve Trimble, the Defense Editor for Aviation Weekly, for his article “FLRAA Passes Army’s First Reality Check On Costs, Feasibility.”
A list of the nominees for the category and the full list of award winners is included below.
Best Military Rotorcraft submission nominees - sponsored by Elbit Systems of America:
- Jason Jorgensen - Black Hawk Glass - Heliops Magazine
- Tim Martin - FVL: upward spiral - Air Warfare
- Garrett Reim - US Army to exploit crucial weakness in Russian, Chinese air defences - Flightglobal
- Yasmin Tadjdeh - S. Rotorcraft Industry Trying to Regain Footing - National Defense Magazine
- Chris Thatcher and Dan Parsons - Atlantic Destiny - Vertical Valor
- Steve Trimble - Fast Forward - Aviation Week & Space Technology
Winners of the 2021 Defence Media Awards:
- Best Young Defence Journalist: Oriana Pawlyk
- Best Training, Simulation and Readiness submission: Yasmin Tadjdeh - Air Force Embracing New Tech to Solve Pilot Shortage - National Defense Magazine
- Best Military Aviation Submission: Lee Hudson - Short of Breath - Aviation Week & Space Technology
- Best Breaking News Story: Jon Lake - Wedgetail at Risk - Air Forces Monthly
- Best Land Systems submission: Jon Harper - Cold Front: Special Operations Forces Bracing for Arctic Missions - National Defense Magazine
- Best Defence Electronics submission: Nathan Strout - How the Space Force foiled an Iranian missile attack with a critical early warning C4ISRNET
- Best Military Maintenance Repair & Overhaul submission: Megan Eckstein - NAVSEA: Analysis of Ship Repair Processes Led to Better On-Time Rates, More Realistic Schedules - USNI
- Best Technology Submission: Tim Martin - Stealth technology - Now you see me, now you don’t - Air Warfare
- Best National Security Space Submission: Sandra Erwin - To Defend the High Frontier, Space Force Wants Digitally Minded Troops - SpaceNews
- Best Naval Systems submission: Alix Valenti - Naval Design Swap - Armada International
- Best Un-manned systems submission: Garrett Reim - Record number of UAV shoot downs prompt new USAF tactics and countermeasure pod - Flightglobal
- Best Military Rotorcraft submission: Steve Trimble - Fast Forward - Aviation Week & Space Technology
- Best Digital Defence submission: National Defense
- The John Morrocco Award for Best In-Depth Defense Reporting: Judges Commendation - Gabriel Dominguez - Heading for the Exit - Jane’s Defence Weekly
- The John Morrocco Award for Best In-Depth Defense Reporting: Theresa Hitchens and Sydney Freedberg - Army plan may loosen IC grip on sat based ISR - Breaking Defense
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Andrew Drwiega & Sandra Erwin
To learn more about the Defence Media Awards, click here.
To watch the full Defence Media Awards ceremony, click here.